The service aims to reuse furniture which could otherwise end up in landfill. It will, where cost effective, repair and clean furniture so that it is of a usable and acceptable standard prior to being made available to customers.
The amount of furniture re-used is carefully logged so that the tonnage diverted from landfill can be accurately recorded. This helps provide savings on costly landfill while reducing the environmental impact by giving new life to pre loved items their previous owners no longer need and when you buy a reused item, you save the resources and energy it would have taken to make a new one.
The Furniture Re-use Service enables community engagement in furniture reuse either by donating surplus items or though volunteering in the service delivery. We also aim to help socially excluded service user groups which often includes those who are homeless, unemployed, low income, victims of family break-up and those marginalised within society.
During the past year their help has enabled us to:
- Reuse or recycle 5,585 items.
- Diverted from Landfill 232 tonnes.
- Work with 1,343 people in supporting the service.
- Households 307 referred from our network of referral agencies.
- The number of items 1,215 of either free or discounted furniture provided through our Referral Network.
- The number of people 47 supporting us through volunteering.
- The number of trainees 63 that we support.